Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Friday - I Asked Her to Leave

Courtney came to my office Friday.  I work in a two-person office.  My boss, the owner, was at lunch.  I heard her car drive up and knew it was her.  She got out and came inside.  She looked awful.  Her hair was randomly pinned up on her head.  Her clothes, sweat pants, a long sleeve t-shirt, and a cardigan, did not match.  She had no makeup on.  She never looked me in the eyes the whole time she was there.  She asked me if she could borrow $20.  I could have given it to her, but I knew I didn't need to.  I really thought she was hungry, but that was not what this was about.  

I told Courtney that I had not gotten paid yet, which was true.  I asked her what she needed, already planning to tell her to wait for me at the McDonalds around the corner, and I would buy her something to eat and listen to what she had to say.  Instead, she told me that her "boyfriend" was mean to her.  She said that everyone (in the apartment where she is currently staying) got mad at her because she was $20 short on her part of the rent.  Everyone had to pay $120 and she only had $100.  She said I knew she didn't make much money, and they knew that.  She told me that every other night they get in a fight, and he is rude and talks about her and yells at her in front of everyone.  I told her that was because that was his culture and he doesn't respect her.  She said I was being racist.  I said if I had been racist, I would have mentioned his race or color, but I didn't do that.  She cried and carried on the whole time she was in my office.

She told me that nothing was working out for her.  She said they had replaced her at the dry cleaners, and she was waiting to start a new job.  I told her that when she lived at home she had food to eat, a place to sleep, insurance on her car, a cell phone, and other things.  She said that living at home was no better than living with her friends.  I told her that she needed to keep "living that good life"  then.  

I finally told her that my boss would be back in five minutes, and she would have to leave.  She looked at me, and walked out the door.  She sat in the parking lot for a while, and finally left.  I have not heard from her since.  My husband said he was very proud of me for not giving her money, and that I was the only person who can save her.  She has always been especially close to me.  We both feel she is back on drugs.  This weekend we found strattera in her room.  In a baggie with $10 written on it.  I'm afraid we are going to lose her.  I'm afraid some one is going to hurt her, or she will be involved in a drug shooting, or she will kill herself.  I need to figure out what I should do.  I've never been in this position before.

No comments:

Post a Comment